Sunday 7 January 2018

Sunday 7th Jan 2018 - Love Actually Comment & Response



Further to my post of December 30th, I received the following comment from a reader:
"I read your post of 30 December with great interest as my view of the various story lines is much the same as yours except that, for me, the most powerful piece was Emma Thompson’s masterful conveyance of shock and sadness on opening Alan Rickman’s Christmas gift. The scene when she is in her bedroom trying to “get it together” is so touching - that moment when she leans on the bed, such an apparently simple gesture but sublime. It gets me every time."


My response:


You've put me to shame with your masterful conveyance of the Thompson scene. Her performance was indeed effective and believable. Her character's very British, stiff upper lipped, self-sacrificial, typically middle-class reaction to adversity was poignant and sad & warranted more attention than I chose to give it. What I didn't want to do was write a movie review. My aim was to try to convey that pure emotion on the dance-floor - the one scene in the film that really moved me. In the end, all I could manage was a rather ham-fisted attempt in one short paragraph at the end. In retrospect, both relationships needed to be fleshed out.


Please feel free to respond to any post you find on here & I will endeavour to reply in a timely manner. Thankyou K. for your comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - it encourages & helps me to improve & tailor the content more appropriately