Sunday 7 January 2018

Sunday 7th January 2018 continued.... A Good Brain

I think I may, from time-to-time, add to daily entries when I have something to say and miss other days completely and here is the first add...

The Nook got me sidetracked from work this morning as I dipped once more into V.W.s diary.

The entry on 16th October 1917 contains a wickedly clever description of Alix, her guest that day & their topic of conversation. This gave me cause to chuckle aloud, the irony of which is not lost on me, given my general state of mind.

The summation is that "She has a good brain, but not enough vitality to keep it working." A back-handed compliment that nevertheless gives the impression that she was fond of the recipient of such faint praise. If I were to travel back 100 years and we were to meet, I should be grateful to receive an  honest biographical note to similar effect. Certainly, it would cause no offence but then I am firmly in the camp that believes the right to offend or be offended confers no special privilege on the giver or receiver.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment - it encourages & helps me to improve & tailor the content more appropriately